Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Harley's Dearborn Deli

Well on this snow covered Saturday January 17th the family and I decided to try out a local establishment. Harley's Dearborn Deli is located about 200 ft west of Telegraph on the north side of Michigan. You cant miss the "Harley Davidson" orange awning and unmistakable "Bar and Shield".

Walking in we were greeted warmly by the down home staff. This is more a diner than a deli so the country music and cramped quarters feel comfortable with the "How y'all doing" greeting. Sitting down I looked around and its unmistakable that the owner likes his motorcycle and the kitch that goes along. 

Side note here, I hate Betty Boop and feel she really doesn't belong in diner or deli decor whatsoever.

I parooze the lengthy menu. It has the usual fair of assorted sandwiches, burgers, entree's and breakfast. The deli sandwiches are noticeably missing the plane Jane run off the mill Corned beef, pastrami, and other deli meat sandwiches. What they do have are Rueben's, Clubs, and typical diner sandwiches.  Breakfast is the run of the mill fair you would expect, not at all a bad thing. In my opinion "don't mess with breakfast".

I order the "New York Style Pastrami" which is basically pastrami, swiss cheese, coleslaw and Thousand Island dressing. I may not be an expert but to me New York style pastrami means warm shaved pastrami on a good rye, this was neither. Joan go the BLT with the black pepper mayo, Jack got eggs and sausage and Harry the French toast.

When my lunch arrives it is a pastrami sandwich by name only. I'm disappointed to see your basic "Oscar Meyer" pastrami grilled and served on thick cut white bread. This was a huge disappointment because walking in I thought I was at a deli. Nope, just a diner. The "home made" coleslaw was the highlight of the sandwich and thats not a plus. Joan's BLT looks good. A generous portion of bacon on texas toast (see a theme) and the black pepper mayo is a nice addition. In the end though it's just a BLT. Harry's French toast looked and tasted horrible. Not one bit of the egg and cream coating associated with French toast rather it looked like grilled buttered toast. Jack's scrambled eggs passed, but how can one really screw up scrambled eggs?

In the end this was not what I had hoped it would be. Harley's Dearborn Deli was more a diner than a deli. A rule I always try and judge by, if you don't have anything better than prepackaged meats, just claim to be a diner that has deli style sandwiches. The real problem is Harley's fails on all levels. They should focus on a few areas and leave the rest of the menu to other places. If you're going to be a deli, be a deli. If you are going to serve breakfast, take some time and do it right.

If you plan on going to Harley's Dearborn Deli here's a few tips:
1. Don't expect a full deli experience, this is more a cafe or diner.
2. If ordering the special(s) be aware the prices change at 11:30 and you will be charged for extra condiments such as the black pepper mayo.
3. The menu has a wide selection of choices but the prices are a bit higher than I would expect.
4. The waitstaff is accommodating. They were not put out in the least to brew a fresh pot of coffee or cater to the kids. Thats a plus in my book.
5. Skip the dinner entree's altogether. Stick to the staples and try to enjoy.

Meal for two adults and two children: $34.77 including tax and tip

Rating:
2 out of 5 Tummy Pats

Harley's Dearborn Diner
24142 Michigan Ave.
Dearborn, MI 48124
313-274-5170


2 comments:

joan.greig@gmail.com said...

I am surprised that you would give this place 2 tummy pats. The "texas toast" ripped my gums apart which left me remembering the bad experience all day long. I have to say after paying the bill I felt, dare I say a little violated for having to pay for what I just ate. But this is your blog and I appreciate your review I just disagree with your tummy pat rating.

Harleys said...

We are sorry your experience here at harley's was not what you were hoping for. Thanks to customers like you we can fix the area's that need improvment. Through the internet and our "comment box" we are able to pay attention to things like this.Unfortunatly we are a fairly new restaurant but, We appreciate your imput and invite you back to see if the things you did not like have changed. Thank you again

Harley's Staff