Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kong Kow Chop Suey

Monday night dinner and the wife and I are jonesing for some Chinese food. A close friend of ours recommends Kong Kow Chop Suey in East Dearborn near Schaefer Rd. so we decide to give it a try.

We get the carry out menu from the hostess who is straight our of a SNL skit. Her voice is piercing as all get out and she's very rushed in her speech, she's not all bad though. I'm impressed with the selection. It's a normal sized menu not one of those typical Chinese carryout menus, but rather a smaller, more desirable one. Looking around its nice to see some tables and booths in case I wanted to dine in.

Joan gets the General Tso's Chicken, the one dish we always get and rate the restaurant by, I order the Hunan Beef and we split an order of Potstickers. Fifteen minutes later were on our way home and the food smells pretty decent.

We arrive home hungry and ready to eat. The Generals Chicken isn't the best but better than the normal take outs we've become accustomed to. Its tangy and sweet with just a faint touch of heat. Beware though, the bottom of the carryout carton is packed full of broccoli so it looks like there is more chicken than there really is. I myself think the Generals Chicken passes the test until I get a ball of batter and no chicken. Hardly an oversight but rather a big hunk of filler. The Hunan Beef was horrible. I wish the meat was rubbery, but it was just plain tough and tasteless. The veggies were cooked well but the overall flavor was just not good. On a positive note I really liked the potstickers. The ginger flavor was a bit heavy but I managed to overlook it. 

In the end Kong Kow Chop Suey was no different than the run of the mill Chinese take out places we see all over the place. I had such high hopes as it did come highly recommended. I would go back because it is the better of the limited choices I have tried in my area. We all must remember this is American Chinese and so if you've ever had the privilege of eating in a Chinatown you know not much compares. All in all it passes, but just barely.

If going to Kong Kow Chop Suey heres a few tips:
1. Prices are on par with other Chinese restaurants so you shouldn't have any sticker shock.
2. It is a sit down restaurant in case you wanted to eat there.
3. They have a number of choices that you don't normally see at Chinese take out's.
4. I would get the potstickers, they were tasty and filling.
5. Rice is included with the dinners but unless you are getting a combo meal you will have to order an egg roll separately.

Dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids: $21.09 (includes tax only)

2-1/4 out of 5 Tummy Pats

Kong Kow Chop Suey
13337 Michigan Ave.
E. Dearborn, MI 48126
(313)581-5576

1 comment:

joan.greig@gmail.com said...

You left me really wanting another review. Is the recession hitting you that hard???